pastorshane

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I'm a Work in Progress

God gives me challenges to work through on a regular basis. Seldom are the answers simple. Usually the answer requires a great deal of time, prayer, and lost sleep before the light of illumination clicks on and I have my V-8 moment. One of my greatest struggles has been thrashing me for years. And none of the books I read she'd much light on my dilemma. Now, to you, this may sound silly, but for me, it held an answer that I was desperate for. WHEN & HOW DOES A PASTOR CELEBRATE THE LORD'S DAY? Sunday is my busiest work day and I usually end up exhausted. So what's a Pastor to do? Overeat lunch and take a nap? Football? Catch up on yard work? My "journey" for enlightenment on this topic made one thing clear, "GOD DEMANDS THAT EVERYDAY BE DEVOTED TO HIS GLORY AND HONOR -- NOT JUST ONE DAY OF THE WEEK". OK, now that I made my sermon point for the week, back to my dilemma. So I am going to share some of my random, rambling observations and (God willing), perhaps something here may resonate in your heart and challenge you. First, whatever I do, it must not interfere with me appreciating God for who He is and what He has done. This eliminates a lot of selfish things that turns the focus on my interests and distracts my from fellowshipping with God. Second, since I spend all week counseling people and studying, my "Lord's Day" needs to be something "alone & physical". Something that moves me out of my routine and moves me closer to God. Third, it needs to be something I am passionate about and puts gas in my spiritual tank so I can charge back into the ministry -- excited and motivated to serve. So I have found that I am 110% passionate about HIKING. I love throwing on a pack and disappearing into the mountains. It not only pushes me physically, but God speaks to me and I am forced to shut up and listen. I found that I love taking pictures of my hikes. Not professional pictures by any means, but it is a way to journal my experience with God. Today, July 3rd, I was caught in a snowstorm that has less than 75 yards visibility. I could write a full book on the lessons the good Lord taught me today. I came off the mountain humbled because I knew, without a doubt, that I spent the day in the presence of Almighty God. Hard to beat that. When Moses went up on the mountain, the cloud covered it, and the glory of the Lord settled on Mount Sinai. For six days the cloud covered the mountain, and on the seventh day the Lord called to Moses from within the cloud. To the Israelites the glory of the Lord looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain. Then Moses entered the cloud as he went on up the mountain. And he stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights." Exodus 24:15-18

No comments:

Post a Comment