pastorshane

Thursday, November 13, 2014

GVCC Mid-Week Bible Study Handout



Garden Valley Community Church
Pastor Shane Moffitt
November 13th 2014

“Praying the Psalms”
Psalm 121: A Prayer of Assurance

Reading God’s Word
builds confidence and faith
in the supernatural abilities of God and
in the loving intentions that God has toward us

Psalm 121:1 “I look up to the mountains ~   
Does my help come from there?
    Looking down conveys sadness,  discouragement, or depression
    Looking up ~ be encouraged ~ be expectant for God to help
    3:3 continues the thought from 121:1

121:2, “My help comes from the LORD,             
              who made heaven and earth!
    God is reminding us of His power
      When we compare our problems to the power of God – 
    the comparison MUST increase our confidence in God

121:3a “He still not let you stumble
    A picture of a person who has made a commitment for God
and God promises to keep that Believer secure
    READ: Psalm 17:5 & 26:12 & 1:1-2

121:3b “the One who watches over you will
              not slumber.”
    READ: Psalm 139:8 & Romans 8:38-39

121:4   Indeed, He who watches over Israel
               never slumbers or sleeps.”
    When we face difficult circumstances,  
often we stumble BECAUSE we doubt             
that God is aware of our situation

121:5 “The LORD Himself watches over you!
            The LORD stands beside you as your
              protective shade.”
    a picture of relief that God gives us from the extreme heat of our daily experiences

121:6 “The sun will not harm you by day,             
            nor the moon at night.”
    24/7 365   Proverbs 15:3 & Hebrews 4:13

121:7 “The LORD keep you from all harm                  
            and watches over your life.”
    Our soul is made up of our mind, our will and our emotions
    God is saying that His will is to preserve our mind, our will, our emotions from evil

121:8 “The LORD keeps watch over you as
        you come and go, both now and forever.”
    Hebrew word “watch over” can be translated “preserve” is used 6 times in 121

What part do you find most reassuring             
for a fellow Believer who is struggling?

PRAYING Psalm 121
I lift my eyes….
above the fear….
above the loneliness….
above the anger….
above the worry.

I lift my eyes….
higher than my line of sight….
And I expectantly wait.

From where does my help come?
When will my help come?
How will my help come?
I lift my eyes...
and then in His perfect time…
my help never fails to come!

My Help is unchanging….
unshakable….
ever watchful….
ever faithful.

My help comes from the Lord….
The Protector the fearful….
The Friend of the lonely….
The Soother of the angry….
The Calmer of the worried….
The Comforter of the grieving.

My help comes from the Lord,
the one who keeps me close always. Amen!

 “As for me, I will certainly not sin against the Lord
by ending my prayers for you.
And I will continue to teach you
what is good and right.  
1 Samuel 12:23 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment