pastorshane

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Benched



Benched

Coaches watch their players for signs that they need a “break” from the action.  When a coach decides a player needs a “break” ~ that player gets “benched”.  That means for a few plays, that player gets to sit down and catch his breath and rest up for a few minutes. 

Sunday night, the good Lord “benched” me for a few plays. 

I slipped on a flight of stairs and tumbled to the bottom. It was a less than graceful descent and resulted in me spending the night in the ER.  After some X-Rays, it was determined that nothing was broke but my left foot and knee was severely sprained.  Then the Doctor advised me that I was out of the game for 7 days and on crutches.

It is ironic that my first impulse was to make excuses as to why this is NOT a good time for me to be laid up.  However, I’m not sure who to address my complaint to. 

I also find it ironic how overwhelmed with guilt I feel for having a week to let my knee and foot heal.   

My friends with the ambulance service have been amazing.  They have dropped off books for me to read ~ food ~ a steady stream of texts and messages letting me know that everything is covered.  I am truly blessed.

I want to share a Psalm that the good Lord handed me this afternoon.
This Psalm is ALL about waiting quietly before God.
Calmly resting in His Presence.
Trusting Him to be in control and do what is right.  

Psalm 62
A psalm of David.
I wait quietly before God,
    for my victory comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will never be shaken.
So many enemies against one man—
    all of them trying to kill me.
To them I’m just a broken-down wall
    or a tottering fence.
They plan to topple me from my high position.
    They delight in telling lies about me.
They praise me to my face
    but curse me in their hearts. Interlude
Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
    for my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
    my fortress where I will not be shaken.
My victory and honor come from God alone.
    He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
O my people, trust in him at all times.
    Pour out your heart to him,
    for God is our refuge. Interlude
Common people are as worthless as a puff of wind,
    and the powerful are not what they appear to be.
If you weigh them on the scales,
    together they are lighter than a breath of air.
10 Don’t make your living by extortion
    or put your hope in stealing.
And if your wealth increases,
    don’t make it the center of your life.
11 God has spoken plainly,
    and I have heard it many times:
Power, O God, belongs to you;
12     unfailing love, O Lord, is yours.
Surely you repay all people
    according to what they have done.

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 62 is from the New Living Translation.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+62&version=NLT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to borrow 6-7 for my memory verse this week for BM's. Thanks pastor! ~Georgia

    ReplyDelete