pastorshane

Friday, December 28, 2012

When I am an old man

When I am an old man

I shall wear my old slippers whenever I choose
Have popcorn and pickles, while on my armchair cruise
Dance around in my bathrobe, put my false teeth in a jar
Make friends of my enemies and talk of love ~ not war
Eat ice cream for breakfast, and spend some days in bed
Nod off in the sunshine, over books I’ve not read
I’ll drink milk from the carton, eat peaches from their tin
And throw away my neckties, grow whiskers on my chin
Make music on an old guitar, to chase away the blues
And scratch where it itches, forget to shine my shoes
Wink at the girls and give a big grin
Notice the sunsets, and let the dogs come in
On holidays I’ll wear fine shirts, plaid trousers that are loose
And let one of the youngsters, carve the turkey or the goose
But now, we must get to work on time
Save every nickel, penny and dime
But maybe I’ll begin doing some of these things now
Like forgetting my manners when I’m eating my chow
So our friends will recognize me on that far away day
When suddenly I am old and acting that way!
(author unknown)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment