pastorshane

Monday, December 24, 2012

My Christmas Story

Sometimes God strings along a chain of events that are so random that it is easy to miss His hand nudging and guiding behind the scenes. 

A month ago, a wonderful family in our church asked me to select a deserving family that could use help with their Christmas dinner.  They wanted to purchase and cook up a meal, then have it delivered anonymously. 

Immediately my mind went to one of my neighbors that have dedicated their life to raising foster children.  They don’t just stop at being foster parents; they make a lifelong commitment to love by adopting many of them. Their level of love and devotion humbles me and I have tremendous respect for their commitment and sacrifice.

The flip side is, they have adopted so many of these foster kids that their home is a very active place and I’m not sure I have met but ½ of them.  Suggesting that Christmas dinner at their house is an event, would be an understatement. They anticipate over 30 “family” members to set down together around their kitchen table.  That is a mental picture that would shake the bravest of souls. 

My church friends brought enough food to feed an army.  They piled it in the front seat of my pickup during church yesterday.  I confess that there were a couple pies that were in danger of not making it to their destination. 

Then I was asked to help another family after church and with the schedule conflict, I didn’t have enough time to deliver the food.  So I asked one of my dearest friends at church to make the food delivery.  He immediately responded with great enthusiasm, loaded his car and headed out to deliver the food. 

An hour later I received a phone call asking for assistance.  The food delivery car was stuck in a snow bank deep in the woods on a private driveway. 

So my wife and I grabbed a tow chain, my shovel and headed into the deep woods to see if I could rescue Christmas dinner. 

Just as I found the food delivery car stuck in the snow, the family the food was to be delivered to – showed up unexpectedly.  They were heading out to go sledding.  To make a long story short, the car was pushed out of the snow and back onto the road, the food was delivered and everything worked out perfectly. 

Then God’s hand was revealed.  The family with all the adopted kids told me that since all their kids were home for Christmas, they were willing to sing a couple songs for our church next Sunday. 

Whenever this incredibly musically talented family sings, hearts are moved closer to heaven and lives are touched by our good Lord.

So next Sunday, Garden Valley Community Church is going to be blessed with 1st class music from a family that loves the Lord and strives to serve Him in all they do.

And this whole chain of events began when one family responded to the good Lord nudging them to provide food for a family in need.

Praise the Lord and thank God for His amazing people. 

 Every time I think of you,
I give thanks to my God.
 Whenever I pray,
I make my requests for all of you with joy,
 for you have been my partners
in spreading the Good News about Christ
from the time you first heard it until now.
 And I am certain that God,
who began the good work within you,
will continue his work until it is finally finished
on the day when Christ Jesus returns.
 So it is right that I should feel as I do
about all of you,
for you have a special place in my heart.
You share with me the special favor of God,
both in my imprisonment
and in defending and confirming the truth of the Good News.
 God knows how much I love you and long for you with the tender compassion of Christ Jesus.
 I pray that your love will overflow more and more,
and that you will keep on growing
in knowledge and understanding.
 For I want you to understand what really matters,
so that you may live pure and blameless lives
until the day of Christ’s return.
 May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation,
the righteous character produced in your life
by Jesus Christ,
for this will bring much glory and praise to God.
Philippians 1:3-11    

No comments:

Post a Comment