pastorshane

Friday, December 21, 2012

My Guardian Angels

If you are from the Pacific Northwest, the story I am about to spin, is all too familiar. 

There are two kinds of people in the Pacific Northwest, those who have already hit a deer with their car, and those who are about to hit a deer with their car.  It's not a matter of "if" but more a matter of "when". 

Last night, I was driving home on some pretty terrible roads, and I have no way of arguing whether I was driving too fast or not, because only a lunatic would attempt to drive on a treacherous night like that.  

Anyway, the the oncoming traffic was so heavy that I could only drive with my low beams.  And the snow was coming down so hard the visibility was, maybe 10 yards.  And to top it off, my headlights were dirty from all the road grime being flipped up on my truck. 

I came around a corner and standing on the fog line was a large doe, facing away from me.  Usually the easiest way to spot a deer in the road, is the light reflecting off its eyes, but when they face away from you, there are few decisions to make. 

I honestly saw the deer a quarter of a second before I drove past it.  If I missed the deer by 6", I would be shocked. 

Michele saw the deer at the same exact moment I did and I could hear her sharply inhale as we safely sailed past. 

For a moment we just stared at each other and were unable to formulate any coherent words.  Finally, she muttered under her breath, "Well done God". 

Being a pastor, I like to think I have some sort of super spiritual vision that allows me to see God at work behind the scenes.  Some people commonly refer to this thinking as, "delusional".  But who isn't without their quirks? 

So in my minds eye, I like to think I can see a guardian angel riding on the right front fender of my truck, riding shotgun.  And since this is my vision, my guardian angel is wearing wranglers, cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat, herding deer off the roadway so I can safely pass.  

Of course, there is a glitch in my vision, I have led a sometimes, difficult and dangerous life, so I suspect my guardian angels were "drafted" and not "volunteers". 

I imagine the archangel Gabriel called for volunteers and announced, "I need one of you to ride herd on Shane Moffitt today, he is off on another of his adventures". 

There is a murmur in the ranks and all the guardian angels stare at the ground and kick the dirt, praying the archangel Gabriel doesn't notice them. 

In the back of the ranks, a voice calls out, "How many of us are on L&I disabilities from watching over that guy?" 

My minds eye conjures up a vision of a room full of guardian angels with broken wings, scuffed white robes, and serious road rash.  All of which testifies to the price paid for their diligence in the line of duty, protecting me. 

So, protecting me may not be an easy cushy assignment, but it is never dull, but it holds the promise of coming out with some great war stores to share over coffee with the other angels. 

So, to the guardian angels that have kept me
shiny side up in 2012,
"Thanks guys -- Merry Christmas – see you next year". 


"For He will command His angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."
Psalm 91:10

"See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. 
For I tell you that their angels in Heaven
always see always see the face of my Father in Heaven." 
Matthew 18:10

1 comment:

  1. So true!!! Love it! I'm sure my guardian angels have similar bumps and bruises! :) Praise the Lord for keeping you safe!

    ReplyDelete