pastorshane

Monday, October 8, 2012

Tough Decisions

I am writing this after talking to numerous people that are struggling to determine what they believe on a number of highly controversial topics.

Many of these issues are being forced into the limelight by the media & politicians – forcing each person to make decisions on what they believe.    

So, as you read this blog, my prayer is that you find it a guide to making
“God pleasing decisions”. 

There is one vital concept that Jesus taught during His time on earth that often Christians fail to consider:  Jesus demanded His followers obey His commands – but He did not expect unbelievers to obey His commands.

 “… you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 
My sheep listen to my voice;
I know them, and they follow me
John 10:26-27

My point is this; to expect the world (politician or the media) to faithfully follow God’s Word – is asking for something they cannot give. 

It is easier for Christians to rant & rave about politicians & the media failing to make us a “Christian nation” than for Christians to obey God’s Word. 

So what does God’s Word commands Christians to do?

If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land
2 Chronicles 7:14   

So, “How do you decide what you believe about controversial issues? 

I have a couple of rules I follow to establish where I land on all issues. 

Rule #1:  Pray and ask for illumination

But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes,
He will guide you into all truth…
John 16:13

If any of you lacks wisdom,
he should ask God,
who gives generously to all without finding fault,
and it will be given him
James 1:5

Rule #2:  What Does God’s Word say about this? 

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work 
2 Timothy 3:16-17

Do your best to present yourself to God as on approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth
2 Timothy 2:15

How can a young man keep his way pure? 
By living according to your word

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you”

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path

Psalm 119:9 & 11 & 105

·        You have to ask yourself if you will submit to God’s Word and obey what it says?  Will you give God’s Word the authority to change your thoughts, beliefs, attitudes, actions?  (Romans 12:1-2)

Rule #3:  Will God be glorified through this decision? 

Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him
Colossians 3:17

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do,
do it all for the glory of God 
1 Corinthians 10:31

Trust me ~ I have MANY more “rules” but this blog has rambled on long enough.  I am simply posting this in prayer that you open your heart to God’s influence and seek His wisdom and will. 

I’m praying for you…..

No comments:

Post a Comment