pastorshane

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Moose Drool


Yesterday I was visiting a wonderful church family and as I was leaving, they asked me to deliver a couple eggs to their daughter in Colville.  Their daughter was baking brownies and needed the eggs ASAP.

Delivering 2 eggs is not exactly rocket science except, I was on my motorcycle.  And, contrary to popular opinion, it is more difficult that it seems to bungie cord 2 eggs on the back of a motorcycle.

Last year I purchased a cool sweatshirt from the Kettle Falls High School during a Bulldog fund raiser.  The sweatshirt has officially became my all time favorite motorcycle riding apparel.  And it has a nifty little hand warmer pocket in front that is perfect for carrying a couple eggs.

I was pretty sure I could deliver the eggs but I was also pretty sure they would be broken and I would have to pour them out of my nifty little hand warmer pocket into her batter bowl.

Well, I have built all the excitement into this story line possible and I know how difficult it is to deal with this level of suspense, so yea, I delivered the eggs, unbroken.

As I walked up to the house, I could hear my friend yell down, "It's open, come on in".  I opened the door and there on the stairs going up into their living room, was their adorable year old daughter, sitting by a 6 pack of Moose Drool.  As I stepped towards her, she grinned and handed me a Hallmark card with very large letters that spelled out, "PASTOR".

It was one of those moments in life that I will never forget -- time stopped.

A little known fact is, October is "Pastor Appreciation Month".  Yes, I know, you are suddenly overcome with a urge to express your heartfelt gratitude to your pastor for his faithful service through the year.

My first thought is, your pastor would probably be ok with all expense paid vacation to Maui; however trust me, a year old little cutie with a world class grin, holding a Hallmark card expressing love and appreciation, pointing to a 6 pack of Moose Drool, is unforgettable.

I have observed that when I hold God's Word and deliver God's Message to God's People -- I am invisible.  For me to be effective, it must NOT be about me in any way.  My calling is to simply be God's spokesman.  This is a role I cherish.

However, "Pastor Appreciation Month" moves me into a different role.  At first, I balked.  The whole concept moved me out of my comfort zone and into the limelight.

As I searched my heart and prayed about what attitude God desired from me, the good Lord began showing me Scripture passages commanding people to have a grateful heart and to express thankfulness.

Eventually I learned the lesson God was trying to teach me, "God wants people to practice expressing their thankful heart -- and expressing thankfulness to the Pastor God selected for them is a healthy start".

"And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given the responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love"
(The Message)  1 Thessalonians 5:12-13  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment