pastorshane

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Bad

Last week, Michele had a 1st Aid class in Spokane.  And since I had a full day of errands scheduled in the big city, we made a day of it. 

Michele's class got out early and I was still twaddling in Harbor Freight pondering all the things I could not live without, when my phone rang.  Michele wanted to know if I had "jumper cables" because a lady in her class had a car with a dead battery.   

The lady just moved here from Kenya.  Her son plays football at a local college, so she moved here to be close to him.  She supports herself by working in the "home hospice" industry.  And the car she purchased, was on its last legs many years ago. 

I got her car running and suggested she get her battery tested. 

((((( drum roll ))))

This was the moment of truth where the good Lord produced a miracle.  This was a Divine Appointment if I ever encountered one.  God brought us together for His purpose.  And.... I forgot.... I had a fistful of New Testaments in the backseat -- for the express purpose of handing them out to people just like Ruth. 

Surely a pastor would never allow such a perfect God ordained opportunity to escape without sharing the Gospel -- RIGHT????

Nope, if confession is good for the soul, then I confess that I was hungry and pondering the closest place to grab a burger. 

I feel like the disciples Jesus took with Him to the garden of Gethemane.  Matthew 26:36-56 tells the story.  Jesus was going to be arrested in the garden, so He took His very closest friends to pray, while waiting for the soldiers to arrive and make the arrest which would lead to His crucifixion. 

Matthew 26:40, "Then He returned to His disciples and found them sleeping..."  Then in verse 26:43, "When He came back, He again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy." 

Opportunity knocked and I was distracted and missed the blessing. 

BOOOOOOOOO

However, God gently patted me on the head this morning and nudged me towards a verse of perspective, 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 

But He said to me,
"My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness." 
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly
about my weaknesses,
so that Christ's power may rest on me.
That is why, for Christ's sake,
I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships,
in persecutions, in difficulties.
For when I am weak,
then I am strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment