pastorshane

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Whitney Houston passed away

Have you ever noticed the odd contradition that takes place when a controversial celebrity passes away? First the media explores all the unsavory possibilies that surrounded the passing. And second, in an effort to appear humanitarian, they whitewash the unsavory possibilities and focus their spotlights on the sucesses they experienced.

My sense of right and wrong spun wildly as the TV talking heads would repeatedly state their "weasel clause" (we have not confirmed this information and we do not anyone to be confused as to whether or not it is confirmed and factual). Then they would go on in their conjecture and unsavory possibilities.

So much in our world is changing on a daily basis, Twitter and FaceBook is considered a "news source". I just observed the TV news talking heads reading twitter posts. REALLY? Don't they have reporters, like Clark Kent? Sorry, I digress.

What has caught my attention is the immediate assumptions mentioned by the TV news talking-heads. I am not saying they are wrong in their assumptions (drug & alcohol abuse) but at what point do they infringe on the honor & dignity of the deceased and the grieving family?

My point? How should Christians respond to the death of celebrities?

First, do a heart-check.

I feel great sympathy for celebrities. I have friends that I rely on to be honest with me. They give me honest counsel, even when it is uncomfortable. Can you imagine having hundreds of people surround you, every moment of every day, and none of them care enough about you to tell you honestly give you a heads up when decisions are going south? Michael Jackson comes to mind.

Second, calibrate your perspective in light of God's Word.

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone" Colossians 4:6

"Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity" 1 Timothy 4:2

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to You, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer" Psalm 19:14

Third, pray for their families and friends.

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way." 1 Timothy 2:1-2

"And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words" Romans 8:26

My spiritual point for you to ponder is:
"Safety does not rest in our distance from the danger, but in our nearness to God"

Those that are far from God and lost in the jungle of this worlds confusion, needs to experience the presence of God. And to that end, we must pray.