pastorshane

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Avoiding Danger

Twice today I was asked an interesting question.

Truth is, it had never crossed my mind until someone mentioned it. Once it was brought to my attention, well, the bell can't be unrung. Sort of like having someone ask you how you got a dent in the side of your car. Until someone pointed it out, you never noticed it. However, once you were aware of it, it is like a sliver in your brain.

The question is this: "How do I keep from becoming emotionally and spiritually
depleted after spending so much time meeting the needs of others?"

Pretty interesting question.

Because our society is built on the premise that: Busyness = Significance

Rather than explore the problem, which everyone is already aware of, I would like to take a couple minutes and talk about my personal "spiritual safeguard system".

I pray that the good Lord will lead you to consider a couple points I have learned. And these points will be used to increase your faith in God.

#1. I listen to God
I know there is much debate and controversy over how and when God speaks.
But I am here to tell you that if you own a Bible, you can hear God speak.
Step #1 is open your Bible.
Step #2 is read your Bible
Step #3 is study your Bible
Step #4 is memorize your Bible
Step #5 is meditate on your Bible
I guarantee if you follow these 5 steps, you will be well on your way to hearing God.
So, exactly what does God's voice sound like? I'm glad you asked:
"And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:12 NLT

#2. I listen to my wife
The good Lord provided me a wife that is much smarter in some areas than I.
And she is a woman of few words, so when she speaks, I pay attention.
And outside of the good Lord, NO ONE knows me better than Michele.
I believe with all my heart that God designed her with gifts to counsel me.
My point is this, Michele is my first line of defense against burn out.

#3. I listen to my dad
I am guilty of the age old tradition that says, the older you get -- the smarter your dad gets.
For years, I have went to my dad for counsel
and for years, he has calmed me down and
advised me to look at situations rationally and
from God's perspective.

#4. I listen to my Church Elders
Finally, I am blessed with Church Elders that love God
and are devoted to leading a Church that glorifies God.
I choose to submit to their counsel, leadership, and
vision. This serves as a safety net for both me and the
Church. By being accountable to them, I am obeying
Proverbs 15:22, "Plans go wrong for lack of advice;
but many advisors bring success
"

I have many other safeguards in place to insure I don't
"burn out" or "go astray" -- but these 4 are my first lines
of defense.

I close this blog with one of my favorite passages:

"He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.
He counts the stars and calls them all by name.
How great is our Lord!
His power is absolute!
His understanding is beyond comprehension!"
Psalm 147:3-5 NLT