pastorshane

Friday, February 10, 2012

A Spiritual Retreat

Someone once said that you can find Jesus at the end of your rope.

After 4 years of Bible College in Chicago, I came home complaining to my parents about stomach pain. They referred me to our family doctor, a wise Christian man.

The Doc asked me a few questions and wisely nodded.

"Son, you are studying to be a pastor right?"

"Yes Sir, that is the plan", I replied.

"Do you read your bible?" He asked.

"Yes Sir, thats what we do in Bible College".

"Ok then, in my Bible it ways that Jesus set aside time to get alone with His Father and pray all night. Have you done this?" He asked.

"No, I have been very busy" was my reply.

"So, you feel you are stronger than Jesus?"

ANYWAY, you get the idea of how my conversation went with this godly Doctor at Mount Carmel. His diagnosis was that I had carried too much for too long and was a month (tops) away from having an emotional flat tire.

Mark 6:31
Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."

Your spiritual lesson for tonight is, "If you don't come apart -- then you will come apart".

When you car is out of gas, without thinking, without making any decisions, you automatically point your ride toward your favorite gas station.

Apply that same principle to your spiritual life. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 commands, "Never stop praying". Or in my simple terms, "Stay connected to your spiritual fuel pump at all times".

Quickly I want to address 2 questions:
(a) Why should we never stop praying?;
(b) How am I supposed to never stop praying?

(a) Why should we never stop praying?

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
You will either function in your own limited & quickly depleting strength & wisdom or you will tap into God's unlimited, all powerful resources. Your choice. It is called "FAITH".
"My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." John 10:10b

(b) How are we to never stop praying?

"Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for believers everywhere" Ephesians 6:18
My paraphrase of the first part of this verse is, "At all times, you are a mere breath away from being in the Throne room of God. Bring everything to God in prayer."
This is a habit and a decision.
Right now, you are in the habit of doing what feels right to you. Making decisions based on instinct. However, God offers you His insight and wisdom in James 1:5.
Finally, "So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and will find grace to help us when we need it most." Hebrews 4:16

The bottom line is this, "Do you need to unplug and get away from all the distractions of life and uninterrupted time with Jesus Christ?"