pastorshane

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Little is Much

Little is much when God is in it.

God will take your little and make much out of it.

A few years ago, I was working full time in the 911 center and working part time as the pastor of Garden Valley Community Church. The church was running between 12-15 people on Sunday mornings. I was happy and about 1/2 the congregation was happy with me being pastor. Which in the world of pastors, those odds are pretty good.

I lost track how many times people asked me how long I was staying. I was frequently asked when I was going to Spokane and take a larger church. In hindsight, I suppose 1/2 of them was excited I was staying and the other 1/2.... perhaps, less than thrilled.

Every year the attendance increased a few people until an interesting happened. The church offered me a full time position as pastor. This fell into the "leap of faith" category for both the amazing little church and my amazing wife.

My amazing (accountant) wife encouraged me to follow my heart and "see what happens". I felt it necessary to point out her natural accounting gifts because her instincts would question the wisdom of a small church, hiring a full-time pastor.

This has been, without a doubt, one of the most mind blowing experiences of my whole life. I have been privileged enough to watch, first hand, the strength and faith of a small group of God's people. I have been honored to watch them stand together in support of their church and their pastor, me. If that isn't humbling, nothing is.

And the mind blowing experience isn't over. My wife has encouraged me through out this whole "leap of faith". Her faith shone bright when mine began to doubt. Her strength was revealed as she stood by me in stressful battles. I never realized the depth of her love and devotion until I watched her protect me when I was under attack.

Our spiritual take-away is, be slow to judge success based on appearances.

There are layers of truth in this story that would easily fill volumes. The good Lord took overlooked people in a remote location and daily performs unexplainable miracles

So often the good Lord is working behind the scenes. Working in people's hearts and lives in ways that defy explanation. There are no scales or rulers to measure the quality or effectiveness of God's hand moving behind the surface

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-11

"If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones.
But if you are dishonest in little things, you won't be honest with
greater responsibilities.
". Luke 16:10