pastorshane

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Ready or Not ~ I'm 50 years old


The good Lord has been very gracious to me and given me a wonderful life beyond my expectations ~ I have nothing to complain about and everything to be thankful for. 

That being said, I have found that as I approached 50 years of age, there was no turning back the clock and whatever adventure I needed to take part in ~ then I better shake a leg or it would be too late. 

WOW ~ that sounds a great deal like an intro for a “mid-life crisis” confession.

A few months ago, I applied for EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) training.  It is not only something I have been interested in since High School but something that could benefit my community as a Medic 1st Responder.

To make a long story short, the training was difficult but rewarding and the final test ~ brutal.  The good Lord was again gracious and I passed. 

It caught me off guard how close I would get to my classmates.  They were for the most part, young with their whole career ahead of them.  It was unsettling the day I realized I was older than most of their fathers. 

As I watched their passion for life and listened to their career dreams ~ it made me proud that I could hang with them through the EMT training.  Their minds soaked up the information like a sponge ~ while my mind required endless repetition and hours of study. 

The next phase of my training is completed by an FTO (field training officer) with the ambulance service.  My FTO is…. a great deal younger than my step daughter but her experience is vast and her teaching style is very effective.  I am fortunate to have her assigned to oversee my training. 

A fair question is, “What is my goal for all this training? 
I hope to keep my mind and body sharp (or as sharp as possible for an elderly gentleman) and provide a professional service to those I am called on to assist with pre-hospital care.

Now to a practical observation: 

My EMT work serves as a “diversion” that keeps me fresh and motivated.  I have found that I am more motivated and positive in my service as a pastor because I have a demanding outlet that provides me an opportunity to serve my community in a meaningful rewarding manner. 

“Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.  Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.”  Colossians 3:23 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment