pastorshane

Friday, November 30, 2012

Deep End of the Pool

When I worked in 911 as a “call receiver / dispatcher”
it seemed like the call types came in groups. 

For instance, one night the majority of calls would be
dog barking complaints.
The next night, the majority of the calls would be
Domestic Violence in nature. 
Then the next night we would deal mostly with
traffic complaints.
This happened often enough that it seemed
(at least to me) like there was some sort of pattern. 

Anyway, now as a “pastor” ~ I notice the same thing.
Some weeks, I only deal with “issues” in marriages.
The next week, I will only deal with grumpy stuff in
church that has some people disgruntled. 
The next week, I will mostly deal with funeral details.

So this week the topic of discussion seems to be:
(((( drum roll ))))
Issues of FORGIVENESS.

I find this interesting because everyday this week,
I have counseled at least one person on “forgiveness”. 

99% of us, don’t realize that there is a HUGE difference
Between “forgiveness” and “restoration”. 

Forgiveness is between YOU and GOD. 

Restoration is between YOU, GOD and the OTHER PERSON. 

So it is very possible to achieve “forgiveness” even if you cannot get the offended person involved in “restoration” of the broken relationship. 

Forgiveness has to do with the good Lord giving your heart peace. 

The person who gains the most from forgiveness is the person who does the forgiving. 

I will cut this short by suggesting we follow the example Jesus set for us in Luke 23:34,
Jesus said, “Father, forgive them,
for they don’t know what they are doing.”

Or the example of Stephen in Acts 7:59,
As they stoned him, Stephen prayed,
“Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”
He fell to his knees shouting,
“Lord, don’t charge them with this sin!”
And with that, he died.

So the PROOF that you have experienced genuine forgiveness,
is when you can, with a pure heart, ask God to let the person
that offended you off the hook.   

I will wrap this up with 1 more command from the good Lord:
Make allowance for each other’s faults,
and forgive anyone who offends you. 
Remember, the Lord forgave you,
So you must forgive others
Colossians 3:13

If we need to discuss the “Forgiveness” issue further, let me know.

I’m praying for you….

No comments:

Post a Comment