pastorshane

Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Spiritual Reboot

Congratulations ~ you survived Thanksgiving.

You are 1/3 of the way through “the silly season”. 

All you have left is Christmas & New Years. 

I just watched a news video of a WalMart in Georgia that showed a special “Black Friday” sale on “pay-as-you-go” iPhones.  The video showed hundreds of people ASSAULTING each other to get one of the phones.  I had to turn it off because I was on sermon-overload.  In that short news clip, I collected enough sermon illustrations to last 3 lifetimes. 

My wife and I went on a “date” yesterday (Black Friday) and dropped by Best Buy to check out the new laptops and were overwhelmed by the mass of aggressive shoppers. 

Silly me, all this time I thought the U.S. was in some sort of recession with a shortage of jobs and money.

So, I thought it would be healthy for us to take a moment for a REALITY CHECK. 

Do you remember the “old days” when there was a “RESET” button on the back of your VCR or digital equipment? 

When it “froze-up” ~ all you had to do with push the small red “RESET” button and the computer “rebooted”. 

Well, that is what this BLOG is, a “Spiritual Reboot”. 

During the “silly season”, there is a tendency to HURRY PAST GOD.

 Write this down somewhere because you will need it later: 

As the speed of your life increases ~
the quality of your relationships decreases”. 

“Busyness” is the #1 killer of relationships. 
 
You see, priorities never conflict. 
If someone is important to you, you will make time for them. 

Your “spiritual take-away” today is a self-check”. 
Ask yourself this:                 
 Are your relationships suffering because you are too busy?”

If so, “What are you going to do about it? 

As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home.

Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”

But the Lord said to her, My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details!

There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” 

Luke 10:38-42 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment