pastorshane

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Its NOT All About Me

Years ago, I had a pastor with a weekly radio program.  He would conclude every broadcast with, "And remember, be nice to everyone, because everyone is having a tough time". 

I couldn't decide if his harping on this quote was challenging or annoying.

One day I began a Google search in hopes of learning its origin. 

Some attribute this saying to Plato, others to a pastor by the name of John Watson and others to Buddha.  The list becomes long and it is clear that no one knows for sure who the author was of this most challenging quote.


Now, as a pastor, I have discovered in this quote, layers of truth that forces me to adjust my perceptions of people and how I interact with them. 


For instance, in the past, when I encountered someone that was extremely angry with me, my natural response was self defense and self preservation.  


Today, the good Lord has nudged me to consider that He is working in people's hearts, using unpleasant experiences and painful events to draw them into a healthy relationship with Him.


This forces them to make decisions that challenge their comfort zones. Often they lash out without justification, toward the pastor because (a) the pastor is human and is visible, and (b) venting anger toward God is.... well, potentially unhealthy and unnerving. 


BOTTOM LINE: God uses events, circumstances and people to provoke change, in an effort to draw & transform people into a healthy relationship with Him. 


My point?

It is imperative that I (we) develop the natural ability to view people in our lives from God's perspective (look beyond ourself). 

ASK:  "What is God doing in this person's life?" 

ASK:  "What does God want me to do to encourage this person into a more healthy understanding of Him?"

ASK:  "What does God want me to do to move this person toward a more healthy relationship with Him?"

ASK:  "Is what I am about to say, going to help or hinder this person from knowing God better?"

ASK:  "Is what I am about to do, going to help or hinder this person from seeing God more clearly?" 

ASK:  "Is my attitude & actions toward this person (which God has led into my life) pleasing to God or embarrassing to God?" 

ASK:  “What annoying, troublesome soul has the good Lord placed in your life ~ that wears you down and threatens your peace of mind?  What PURPOSE did the good Lord have in bringing this person into your life?  What ROLE does He want you to play in encouraging them into a more pure, mature, and healthy relationship with Him?” 


"be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you"  Ephesians 4:32 NLT


If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins"  Matthew 6:14-15 NLT

"So be nice to everyone -- because everyone is having a tough time" 

No comments:

Post a Comment