pastorshane

Friday, September 13, 2013

Armstrong Steering



Armstrong Steering

My grandmother passed away when I was 14 years old.  She left me a 1959 Ford 2 door sedan.  It was brown with a white stripe down the sides.  It had large fins that ran down the sides of the trunk and huge round tail lights.  It was my pride and joy. 

The steering wheel was about the size of a truck tire.  
This should’ve been a clue that something was amiss. 

A short time later, I learned to parallel park my ride using “Armstrong Steering” (also known as manual steering). 

I found parallel parking my beast had an aerobic affect.   

Steering was best completed with 1 foot firmly planted on the floorboard for leverage and both hands gripping the same side of the steering wheel (thus the need for the monstrosity of a wheel). 

Then my dad offered a word of wisdom, “The steering wheel  turns easier if the car is moving.” 

Huh…. What do you know….

That was one of those “Ah-Ha” moments. 

One of the questions people ask me the most is, “What does God want me to do? 

And my answer is grounded on the wisdom my dad shared with me.  God guides your life easier if you are already moving.” 

If you use God’s Word as a map for your decisions ~ then you are already moving in the right direction.  All the good Lord has to do is nudge you here and there for course corrections. 

If you are not moving at all, then the good Lord has to put one foot on the floor for leverage, grab you firmly with both hands and firmly torque until the desired correction has been made.

Your Word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path” Psalm 119:105 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment