pastorshane

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Asthma Sunday

Asthma Impacts Sunday

Last fall when the cold settled in, I experienced my first Asthma attack.

My Doc gave me a "breathing treatment" and got me some emergency inhalers.

All was right with the world.

This last Thursday, a cold snap arrived and I ended up in the Emergency Room.

I could not breathe.  The medical care I received was fantastic.

In a couple hours, Michele was driving me home and my lungs were almost working.

I was curious how church was going to go -- since I had very little air to work with.

Since laying down in bed results in my lungs shutting down, I started sleeping in my recliner.

Saturday night at zero dark thirty, the good LORD showed up and reminded me of HIS promise:
“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.”
So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses,
so that the power of Christ can work through me.
That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses,
and in the insults, hardships, persecutions,
and troubles that I suffer for Christ.
For when I am weak, then I am strong."
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 NLT

So I went to church this morning, knowing full well that I couldn't sing at all and talking was going to be limited.

I confess that my confidence was shaken -- I had forgotten that I was just carrying water for the good LORD.

The Worship Team was wonderful and survived just fine without me.

Finally it was time for the "sermon" -- my responsibility.

You need to understand that I take the "sermon" terribly seriously.
The "sermon'" is God speaking to HIS people
-- God's message -- not mine.

As I got up to speak, I couldn't quit coughing and my Diabetes was out of whack from the Asthma medicine.

A friend brought me a stool to sit on and another moved the microphone to where I needed it.

I opened my Bible to 2 Timothy chapter 2 and for the next 30 minutes
-- I was weak and God was strong.

God was present.  Simple as that.  God moved me out of the way and HE took front and center.

At the end of the service, our Senior Elder spoke up and suggested that a retired pastor in our church, lay hands on me and pray for God's healing touch on my body.  Saints began moving forward and soon I felt God's people surround me -- lay their hands on me as my friend, Pastor Wagie prayed for God's will to be done.

It was one of the most moving and powerful experiences of my ministry.

I experienced God's love as it flowed freely from His people.

And.... I am humbled....

1 comment: