pastorshane

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Still in the Battle

Last week I had an appointment to consult with a family on the Colville north hill.  The problem was, I arrived 30 minutes early.  So, I stopped by the cemetery and visited my grandparents grave.

When I was a teenager, my grandparents drove me all over the Pacific Northwest on Sunday mornings so I could preach at different churches. 

Of course, we would always begin our Sunday morning pilgrimage with a stop at the Golden Arches and have breakfast at McDonalds.  Which probably accounts for my strong emotional link to McD’s. 

As I stood over my grandparents grave, I found myself overwhelmed with memories. Some made me smile and others opened the floodgates of tears.  Such as, Grandma’s hankering for Vienna Sausages on Saltine Crackers and Diet Pepsi.                      

And as her time on earth was winding down, I remember promising her that I would honor the gift God gave me, and continue my work as a pastor. 

So as I stood over their grave, I could hear the good Lord whisper in my ear,   
 After all these years, you are still in the battle.” 

Our spiritual take-away from this blog is how much I appreciate my parents (and aunts) decision to purchase a gravesite for my grandparents.  About 4 times a year I stop by the gravesite and spend time.  This visit encourages me to reflect on my values. It has become a touchstone for me.

Think about this, when I was a teenager, my grandparents did everything they knew to do, in an effort to encourage me to fulfill my calling as a pastor. 

My grandma passed away in 1992 and she is still encouraging me to fulfill my calling as a pastor. 

How cool is that?  I think they call that a “Legacy”. 

“Therefore, since we are surrounded
 by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith,
let us strip off every weight that slows us down,
especially the sin that so easily trips us up.
And let us run with endurance
the race God has set before us.
We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus,
the Champion who initiates and perfects our faith.
Because of the joy awaiting Him,
He endured the cross, disregarding its shame.
Now He is seated in the place of honor
beside God’s throne.
Think of all the hostility He endured from sinful people;
then you won’t become weary and give up.
After all, you have not yet given
your lives in your struggle against sin.
Hebrews 12:1-4 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment