pastorshane

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Remarkable Gratitude

It is easy to take common things in our life ~ for granted.

For instance, I live a rocks throw from the Columbia River. I see it every day and drive across it numerous times throughout the week.  For the most part, my mind is distracted and I seldom slow down to admire the majesty of this breathtakingly beautiful gift that God has flowing through our backyard. 

I have friends that save all their vacation time and money to drive up to our neck of the woods and camp along the Columbia River. 

Their dream is to retire and move to a small wooded area along the Columbia River so they can admire the beauty of this God blessed area. 

I find myself wondering how long they would live here, before they too buckle into a schedule and neglect to “slow down and smell the roses”? 

Would it be a matter of weeks or months before they zipped across Barney’s Bridge without giving a glance at the majestic river flowing beneath? 

This week, a recently widowed lady in our church, told me she needed help raking the leaves in her yard.  I never even batted an eye, I simply commented, “I have a friend that would be more than happy to help”. 
 
Nothing like volunteering people without asking for their input. 
 
I simply shot my friend a text and explained what was needed and forgot the matter.  Within 24 hours, my friend and his family had all the leaves raked and was a wonderful blessing to this dear lady grieving over the loss of her husband.

Today I was reflecting over the wonderful Christian spirit my friend and his family demonstrated this week and was overcome with gratitude. 

I am surrounded by such a large number of people that daily live the love of Christ ~ that I begin to take it for granted because it is so common. 

What a remarkable blessing. 

I have not stopped giving thanks for you,
remembering you in my prayers 
Ephesians 1:16  

No comments:

Post a Comment